1.08.2008

Segmented

I've realized something today: when I look back on my life, thinking about various fond (and sometimes not so fond) memories, it doesn't flow. When I reflect on my life, it's segmented.

There are pieces of my childhood for instance, that I don't remember. Granted, kids aren't interested for the most part, in keeping strict mental records of the passing summer days. They are more concerned with cramming as much fun in as possible before the street lights come on and whether the ice cream truck has come yet or not. Nevertheless, most people that I've talked to about their childhoods can give a rough account. Some count by the school years, others by what house they lived in. I really only have four major breaks: (1) before/after I started homeschooling, (2) before/after my family moved to Illinois, (3) before/after I met my wife, and (4) before/after the birth of my daughter.

Since I'm only 26, I suppose it could be worse, but I find it more than a little disconcerting that I can't remember more of my childhood. I am fortunate however, to be able to say that the memories I do have are quite good, and they make for great bases for short stories. (That, by the way, was where I started with one of my book ideas. More on that at a later date.)

1 comment:

WW said...

I've only met a very few people who've been able to remember their WHOLE childhood. I personally remember in patches (or segments if you prefer). In fact, discussing it with the hubby the other day I realized I couldn't remember anything about 4th grade except the time I got beat up. And 8th grad is just a big blur. Ask me about anything earlier than 2nd grade and I'll look at you blankly (except for 2 small incidences). I really think it depends on how (and how well) our memory has been trained. Some people are like a steel trap = once they've heard/experienced something it's always with them....then there are those who live much more in the moment and don't catalog their life much at all. If you fear you're loosing your memories, then WRITE man, write!